Go down

thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)

SCANDAL-like! Transported back to the past with the creation of a chaotic summer playlist!

Episode #18 blog

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 Hc6tVbt

This week's episode features 「SCANDAL's Catch up Playlist 2020 - Early summer!」

This is actually their first music project for this show...

HARUNA: For this episode we'll be featuring "SCANDAL's Catch up Playlist 2020 - Early summer!"

RINA: This is the first time we're doing this here.

HARUNA: It's surprising. Making a Catch up playlist means...

Although it's the summer of 2020, all festivals this year have been canceled; there is no beginning nor end; and there are too many feels.

TOMOMI: Emotionally, yes.

HARUNA: We will be creating a chaotic playlist filled with very personal memories of each member.

RINA: Chaotic

TOMOMI: Can't wait

HARUNA: We make playlists for a lot of things, and each time the songs we choose are pretty chaotic.

RINA: We don't plan to do so, but it gets pretty chaotic when the four of us get together...I wonder why.

HARUNA: This time we selected three songs related to summer. We don't know what the others chose. Each song is written on a piece of paper in the box in front of us, so we'll arrange them in the order in which they are drawn.

Also, this playlist will be released by Spotify. Please check it out!

Shall we start drawing them?

RINA: Let's do it.

HARUNA: TOMO-chan, you want to go?

TOMOMI: It's okay that I start it off?

MAMI: We don't know whose songs will come out.

HARUNA: Only the name of the songs are written on the papers.

TOMOMI: (*Picking one out the box) Ah, this is a very long and thin one (Note: It's in the shape of a strip)

RINA: So thin...

MAMI: So thin! Long and thin.

TOMOMI: Ohーthis one's goodー

RINA: What is itー?

TOMOMI: ORANGE RANGE - "Locolotion"!

RINA: Ah, that's a good one! So summeryー!

HARUNA: ...who chose that one?

MAMI: Yes! I did! We're off to a good startー

TOMOMI: It's so excitingー! It's a very "first song"-like song!

MAMI: As for very personal memories, in my first or second year of middle school...

TOMOMI: Wasn't it the first year?

MAMI: First year, huh. It was the song used for the cheering squad during a sports festival.

RINA: Ahー

MAMI: It's a song that reminds me of summer vacation when a lot of us got together to practice for the cheering squad, and we were all super sweaty in the gym.

TOMOMI: I also danced to this song during orientation of a ski training camp I went to in my first year of middle school.

MAMI: Seriously?

TOMOMI: Yeah, the same song.

RINA: ...ski training camp??

TOMOMI: A ski training camp. It was winter.

RINA: You were okay with that sense of season?

TOMOMI: It was an ORANGE RANGE medley, and most of them were summery songs.

HARUNA: You guys listened to ORANGE RANGE all year round that year.

TOMOMI: I sure did.

MAMI: When I think of summer, this immediately comes to mind... A great opening song, if I do say so myself.

HARUNA: It's going to get really exciting.

They each picked out three songs in this way, by using the special box (?), randomly announcing them, and creating a chaotic playlist. Please take a listen to the rich stories of each member for each song!

The reason that the paper with the selected song in the box is thin is because they were to paste the songs on the playlist one by one on a piece of paper. The person who pasted them was HARUNA. Only she could "haru" (貼る = haru; the verb that means "to stick/paste") them.

Check here for the completed playlist!

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
Meph1766

Meph1766

International Performer
International Performer
https://www.setlist.fm/user/Meph1766
4 songs are not available. Does it depend on the country?
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 Catch10

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 VOFnWIx
Back to top Go down
izzy

izzy

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Meph1766 wrote:4 songs are not available. Does it depend on the country?
Same situation on Spotify France... Japanese bands and copyright again  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 1f510

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

izzy wrote:
Meph1766 wrote:4 songs are not available. Does it depend on the country?
Same situation on Spotify France... Japanese bands and copyright again  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 1f510

Yes, unfortunately, those songs are not available to listen to on Spotify outside of Japan.

When I post the summary of the episode, I'll include links to all of the songs on YouTube.

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015 HELLO WORLD @ Paris - London - Essen - Chicago - MEX - LA - Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018 Special Thanks @NY - SF - Anaheim - MTY - MEX - Dallas 2022 MIRROR @Toronto - NY - Boston - Atlanta 2023 UU @ Fukuoka - Tokyo 2023.08.21 Sekai Ichi
Back to top Go down
confusedinupstatenewyork

confusedinupstatenewyork

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
MAMI likes hands

...I'm reminded of that interview where Haruna said she was more of an M and an S and the host's glorious reaction of Thank You Very Much

HARU says that something she's only been liking recently is facial hair on guys

I tried growing mine out, but shaved fairly soon afterwards after I realized how much it got in the way of Ramen/Udon/Spaghetti.

TOMO also brings up how people on roller coasters aren't allowed to scream right now .

As far as that linked article goes, I'm good to go since I've always been good at screaming internally for extended periods of time.

Check here for the completed playlist!

Shimatani Hitomi's "Papillon" is the most random cover of Janet Jackson's "Doesn't Really Matter"

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 Sig10
Back to top Go down
Don Dio

Don Dio

International Performer
International Performer
Mami mentions practicing for the cheering squad.  We are so far removed from them as teenagers it is hard for me to imagine Mami was ever a cheerleader.

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (5 votes)

【Translated Summary】
『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Episode 18

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 CPYm520
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 ZgJzN4s

•The episode starts with this.

•RINA draws the second song, which is "Natsu no Hi no 1993" (A Summer Day in 1993) by class. This song was also chosen by MAMI. The band laughs and is surprised her chosen songs were drawn in a row. MAMI's memories of this song stem from her third year of high school when this song was really popular. TOMO asks why it was so popular, but MAMI doesn't know. MAMI says that when a girl started singing the lyrics "1993," the entire class started singing too. This would happen every time someone would start to sing it. It was also frequently sung at karaoke (HARU: "Seriously?"). TOMO says that her dad has also sung this song. RINA wonders if this song that their parents' generation listened to [Note: This song came out in--you guessed it--1993, so it is possible], which is why it was popular with MAMI's class. MAMI doesn't think that has anything to do with it; a friend just heard the song and thought it was good.

•MAMI draws the third song, which is "Namida" (Tears) by Ketsumeishi. This song was chosen by TOMO. TOMO's memories stem from her second year of middle school when she and her family were living in a condo where small festivals would be held. She got to run/participate in one of the stalls and made things like yo-yo tsuri and kujibiki. During this time she would be over at a friend's place and they would be listening to this song while they made those things. They wanted something to help draw in customers, so they created an original character called "Negi." Although "negi" (ねぎ) means green onion, the character was a mouse and was made out of cardboard. MAMI says, "That's youth for you." The band also wonders if songs by Western artists are in the box.

•HARU draws the fourth song, which is "I Feel the Earth Move" by Carole King, and was one of HARU's chosen songs. When HARU visited New York for the first time privately in the summer of 2018, she watched the Carole King musical called "Beautiful." Her memories from that time are still very strong, and that trip was what got her hooked on New York. She says that she first heard this song when she was attending their dance & vocal school and they were covering Western songs. She's always liked the song, but seeing it in the musical and learning about its roots made her fall even more in love with it. TOMO says that recent memories are good as well. She also says, "This playist had already gotten chaotic."

•TOMO draws the fifth song, which is "OVER DRIVE" by JUDY AND MARY. This song was chosen by MAMI, which the band isn't surprised with. She says that when she was in nursery school, her mom and other moms from the nursery school formed a band with her mom on keyboards and vocals (RINA: "That totally fits her"). This was one of the songs they sang. During the year that MAMI graduated from the nursery school, it put on a summer festival kind of like what TOMO mentioned. The band was invited to play at it and they sang this song. She points out that there are a lot of summer memories associated with when you're a student, which the band agrees with. She also says that has quite a few memories like this before the band got together/before they had their major label debut. She then says how her three songs have already been picked (TOMO: "That was fast"). RINA says that they were all good songs she chose. MAMI asks if they were summer-like, and the band agrees.

•RINA draws the sixth song, which is "Another Days" by w-inds. This song was chosen by TOMO, and band all says how emotional this song is. TOMO says that the dance & vocal school that they went to had a recital every summer, and at one of them almost every student (200-300) participated in singing a w-inds medley. TOMO was one of the ones who sang "Another Days." HARU goes, "[The] Nagoya [branch of Caless] also participated in that, right?" MAMI says yes, and HARU says that she sang "try your emotion." There were medleys for three artists in total and TOMO says she participated in each of them, but the dance she did for w-inds is what she remembers the most. HARU asks if she practiced a lot, and TOMO says she probably did.

•RINA says that she hopes the next song will be hers, and the others realize that none of her songs have been drawn yet. MAMI draws the seventh song, which is the RINA-chosen song "Papillon" by Hitomi Shimatani. The band gets excited that RINA's song was picked and RINA goes, "That's crazy!" When RINA was in elementary school, she was good friends with a girl who lent her the CD. RINA was also in a dance club where they would cover songs and dances every week, and this was the song that she and her friend were to sing one week. The song has "Thank you" sung in different languages in the chorus ("Maraming salamat, dhanyabaad, terima kasih, xiăo huā, nĭ hăo"), which the band starts singing together. Her friend told her to memorize the lyrics by the next day, and even though she has them memorized now, back then she couldn't remember them perfectly by the next day.

•HARU draws the eighth song, which is "Dancing Hero" by Yoko Oginome and was chosen by HARU (RINA: "It's like you to choose a song like this"). She says that it's a bon odori song that's a classic in Aichi Prefecture (the prefecture HARU's from). She says that bon odori has a "old people in high spirits," kind-of-boring image to it, but using this song to dance to makes it more exciting. HARU liked the song so much that she played the taiko drums for this song during bon odori in sixth grade, and says that she can still play it on the drums. The band says they should do a "HARU playing the taiko" segment during their live shows.

•TOMO draws the ninth song, which she immediately knows is HARU's as soon as she pulls it out: "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind & Fire. SCANDAL played at the festival SUMMER SONIC 2013, which is when EWF also performed at it. HARU had to see them no matter what as she's loved them since middle school. She thought she'd leisurely watch them from the area that other performers/etc. could watch from, but the moment that they started playing "Boogie Wonderland" as the first song she immediately went over to the general area. She's glad she was able to see them before leader Maurice White passed away a few years after that. She also says that the reason why she got into Western music was actually because in middle school she saw w-inds (the band who sang one of the songs that TOMO picked) covering this song on TV. She thought the song was cool and started listening to EWF after that. TOMO goes, "What a great playlist this is."

•RINA draws the 10th song, which is "Please Mr. Postman" by The Carpenters chosen by TOMO. Every year since she was little until around middle school, she and her family would go camping and stay at a log house, and this song would always be played then. MAMI says that her mom really likes songs/artists from that generation, like ABBA. TOMO says that songs from ABBA, Arabesque, and The Carpenters would be played a lot by her parents. When she hears these songs, she can remember super small details from when she was camping. RINA says that she really thinks that memories and music are things that go hand-in-hand with each other.

•The remaining two songs are RINA's. MAMI draws the 11th one: "Manatsu no Magic" by Lead. The band gets really excited, laughs, and goes, "That's crazy!" They also start singing a part of the chorus and say that it's really nostalgic. RINA says that they would dance and sing to this song too in her dance club. Listening to it now, she realizes how great the chorus is and the band starts singing it. She likes the way the words are sung, and HARU says that it's very EWF-like.

•HARU draws the 12th and final song and laughs hard before announcing it. MAMI and TOMO go, "Eh? What is it?" The song is "Lonely Chaplin" by Kiyomi Suzuki with Rats & Star. They all laugh loudly. RINA discovered this song while watching Ayumi Hamasaki's "Ayuready?" late-night TV program on Fuji TV when she was in elementary school. A guest musician would come on the show for a talk segment, and then they and Ayumi would play a song together at the end. RINA heard this song and thought it was really cool. She memorized all of the parts that Ayumi sang and practiced at karaoke. During summer break, her family went somewhere where there was a small stage set up and they told her to sing. She sang this song, which was apparently a hit with all of the people who were there. She also says that there would always be palm trees in the background of "Ayuready?" no matter what season it was, so there was always a summer-like feel to it.

•The band agrees that this playlist was rather chaotic. TOMO says that the meaning of "chaotic" is different every time. HARU goes, "So this is what summer is for us" and the band laughs. TOMO says that she'll probably listen to this playlist three times. MAMI thinks that this will be a fresh playlist for their fans.

1. "Locolotion" - ORANGE RANGE [Chosen by MAMI]

2. "Natsu no Hi no 1993" - class [Chosen by MAMI]

3. "Namida" - Ketsumeishi [Chosen by TOMOMI]

4. "I Feel the Earth Move" - Carole King [Chosen by HARUNA]

5. "OVER DRIVE" - JUDY AND MARY [Chosen by MAMI]

6. "Another Days" - w-inds [Chosen by TOMOMI]

7. "Papillon" - Hitomi Shimatani [Chosen by RINA]

8. "Dancing Hero" - Yoko Oginome [Chosen by HARUNA]

9. "Boogie Wonderland" - Earth, Wind & Fire [Chosen by HARUNA]

10. "Please Mr. Postman" - The Carpenters [Chosen by TOMOMI]

11. "Manatsu no Magic" - Lead [Chosen by RINA]

12. "Lonely Chaplin" - Kiyomi Suzuki with Rats & Star [Chosen by RINA]

Back to top Go down
confusedinupstatenewyork

confusedinupstatenewyork

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
"OVER DRIVE" by JUDY AND MARY.

First JAM song I ever heard.  I was really late on the Rurouni Kenshin train so I heard that before Sobakasu.

The song has "Thank you" sung in different languages in the chorus ("Maraming, salamat,  dhanyabaad, terima kasih, xiăo huā, nĭ hăo")

...I'm only seeing five? ("Maraming Salamat" is Tagalog for "Many Thanks")

The band says they should do a "HARU playing the taiko" segment during their live shows.

That would be amazing.

She thought she'd leisurely watch them from the area that other performers/etc. could watch from, but the moment that they started playing "Boogie Wonderland" as the first song she immediately went over to the general area.

I would too  .hora.

MAMI says that her mom really likes songs/artists from that generation, like ABBA.

...given that her name is short for Mama Mia, this scans.

Back to top Go down
Meph1766

Meph1766

International Performer
International Performer
Most of all I liked 2 songs, I even added them to my favorites, lol
8. "Dancing Hero" - Yoko Oginome [Chosen by HARUNA] - it reminded me of C.C. Catch.
and
1. "Locolotion" - ORANGE RANGE [Chosen by MAMI]

PS:  I checked 
Yoko Oginome discography and she have album and song named SCANDAL  .love.

https://open.spotify.com/album/27SPtjt6FrVt54LS2d1GFK?si=wh-oV1-PSOG0ztO6TxoxEA

Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

Haruna really likes Earth, Wind & Fire.. in this interview she talked about another of their songs, "September".

During summer break, her family went somewhere where there was a small stage set up and they told her to sing. She sang this song, which was apparently a hit with all of the people who were there. 
It seems Rina's family has been very supportive of her showbiz dreams since day one haha! Though now she is actually the Scandal member who sings the least, if at all.  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 1f605

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

【Translated Summary】
TOKYO FM's Sunday Special - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 ELhtJZJ
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 LHOOprr

•This special episode was broadcast live on TOKYO FM on July 12th. During this episode they also aired "SPICE" in its entirety for the first time anywhere. The band also mentions that this program has been around since March, and they didn't think they'd be getting to do a live broadcast so quickly. They're happy and grateful about it. They also say that they will playing songs chosen for a "spice" theme as well as asking listeners to send in any "spicy" stories they have. Whoever they pick as the "Best of Spice" will win a SPA-isu ("spa chair," but it's a play on the words "supaisu" = spice and "isu" = chair).

-TOMO: "This wasn't our idea (laughs)."
-RINA: "We would have never thought of something like this."
-MAMI: "When they heard it we were like, 'Oh, I get it!'"
-TOMO: "It's a lame joke that our older guy staffers came up with (laughs)."
-RINA: "Perhaps it's a generational gap (laughs)?"
-HARU: "It didn't come from our brains."
-TOMO: "It's program director Ono-san's fault."
-MAMI: "'SPA-isu,' a chair to be used in the bath?"
-All: "Yeah."
-MAMI: "But it's really good chair."
-TOMO: "It surprised us. When we were reading the notes we thought it'd be a plastic one, but it's one made out of cypress wood. They picked a good one."

•After "Masterpiece" plays, they go over what their program is about and mention things such as how they learned from their program is that there are a lot of teachers among their fanbase. They also go over segments on their show such as "Life Before SCANDAL."

•TOMO reads the first message from a male listener who was asked by a married female colleague if they'd like to start a relationship together. He says their colleague is a capable worker whom he gets along with, so he was surprised she asked him that. He says he of course turned her down, but that was the first time in a while that they've felt this amused and are still feeling a little tingly. However, if they had accepted the offer, they'd probably be feeling bad it right about now. MAMI goes, "That's quite spicy." The band agrees. MAMI also says that there seems to be a lingering feeling to their message, and HARU says that they sounded interested in their colleague judging from what they said about still feeling tingly. RINA says that stopping it from going anywhere and making this spicy memory was praisable on their part as no one would be feeling happy about it. They're glad that they didn't end up feeling bad about it. They also say that they're off to a spicy start from the first message.

•MAMI reads the next message from a listener whose spicy story involves her being left behind/ghosted at a movie theater by a man she just met for the first time. They met on a dating app and made plans to see a movie. When they got there he said that he needed to use the bathroom, so she went ahead and grabbed seats in the theater. However, he never came inside the theater and she ended up watching the movie alone. He didn't reply to her messages afterwards, which made her realize that she had been ghosted. The movie she watched then was (presumably) Christopher Robin, so she has both sad and warm memories about it. A lot of couples were there watching the movie too, making her feel even sadder. She was also traumatized a little, which comes up when she sees Pooh Bear. Now, she's cautious whenever she goes on a movie date. She asks SCANDAL if they've had some hardships related to love. MAMI says that this message was also quite spicy. The band agrees and also says that that was a horrible thing to have happened to her. HARU asks for clarification that she heard right that the listener was ghosted almost as soon as they met. TOMO and MAMI say yes and recap the story a bit. TOMO says that it's not like they were just acquaintances since they had been talking on the dating app up until then. MAMI says that making a date to go to the movies must have meant that things were going well, and HARU agrees and says that even matching with one another can be a big thing. RINA says that things like meeting up with people you've connected with on these apps and them being not what you were expecting does happen, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you shouldn't do things like ghosting. The band once again says how awful this was to happen to the listener.

•HARU then goes, "Oh, I was also left behind at a movie theater after watching a movie." The band is really surprised and says they've never heard this before. HARU says that she doesn't think she's told them about it, and that she forgot about it herself--hearing this story made her remember it. They ask her if it was a boyfriend who did it, and she says no; it was a guy friend who she was interested in. TOMO, who has been the one questioning her about it the hardest so far, goes, "When was this?! Who was this?!" HARU says that this happened a long time ago. TOMO asks if this was in high school, and HARU says no, but it was some time soon after that. She says that they watched the entire movie together, and that she said she wanted to watch the credits as well. While the credits were rolling, the guy stood up from his chair and left without saying anything. She thought he might have gone to the bathroom and would be waiting outside for her after the credits finished, but he didn't wait for her. TOMO goes, "He left?" HARU says yes. The band goes, "What if this is the same guy [that the listener mentioned]?!" HARU goes, "Yeah, maybe!" The band laughs and TOMO goes, "It's the wrong era, though." She also says, "This the era where you can easily meet someone on a dating app, so doesn't that give people the impression that they can just as easily ghost someone?" MAMI says, "Well, ghosting someone isn't something people should do." She also says that this was quite stimulating, HARU's story included. The band says that this was also quite spicy. RINA goes, "Nice spice." They also tell the listener to keep her chin up, and thank her for telling her story.

•Right after this message they air "SPICE" for the first time. After it plays, the band talks about the song and "XPICE," most of which they talked about in this interview. Other new things they mentioned: RINA says that the "XPICE" story about heroes defeating a villain is a very common one, but these heroes carry complexes about themselves--they're heroes, yet they have complexes. Their worries such as "I wish I had this ability," or "Why am I like this?" is very human-like. RINA thinks that this is anime that the world needs right now as it has themes of accepting others for who they are, even though they may be different than you. MAMI mentions that right now is a time where anyone can say anything they want on the internet and you can be pulled in all kinds of directions, which can make you question who are you as a person. That's why the anime's themes of "courage and understanding" and "fighting together" are ones that we need to keep in mind from this point forward. She also thinks that it feels like getting to write this song as this point in time was destiny. TOMO says that it certainly fits the current state of things and also mentions BLM. She's really happy that they were able to release the song right now.

•The band mentions the SPA-isu prize and wonders if people are understanding what it is exactly. TOMO says that she'll post a picture of it on Twitter, which she does do.

•HARU reads the next message from a listener who lives in Okinawa where the rainy season has ended and summer has begun. He wanted motivation to build up their strength, so he bit into a lemon. It was "SUPAkatta" (suppai/suppakatta = "sour"; he was trying to make a "supaisu/spice" pun like the SPA-isu one). The band laughs and TOMO goes, "Hold on a sec. That's the same as Ono-san's pun!" They thank the listener for the cute message.

•RINA reads the next message from a listener who just started teaching in April and have been repremanded after making quite a few mistakes already. Their life had been going well up until now, so there have been times when their heart broke after realizing how many things they can't do. There have also been times when they've been reduced to tears and did not want to go to work. It's now been one month since school has resumed, and each day has been very fun and busy. They're often asked what their favorite band is and they answer that it's SCANDAL. Though there will be more days full of spiciness ahead of them, they'll prepare SCANDAL's music and radio program and dispatch delicious days. HARU says that even teachers get repremanded/yelled at. RINA says that every profession has the same troubles. She also says that there are also tough times that musicians also go through up until a song is released. When a song's put out they're worried about whether or not they'll get the results or reactions they expected to get. She says that everyone's got it hard, but let's all get through it while trying to find something enjoyable or something that will give you strength. She also says that she thinks a living a life where you only have fun is not fun at all since you can't accept joy when it happens. HARU agrees and says that you wouldn't be able to grow as the result of something painful happening; that's why spice is sometimes needed in life.

•The next segment features the members comparing their chosen songs with "spice" as the theme. The first song played is "Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars)" by Mark Ronson. MAMI reveals that she chose this song. She says that starting in the beginning of the year she and TOMO have attended dark exercise classes (literally exercise classes in the dark/barely any lights on), which HARU says they've talked about every day lately. These places have you work out to these kinds of upbeat songs in very high temperatures. They played a remixed version of this song as part of a medley and were playing the music video on a screen in the place. When this came on, she realized that things were going to start to really pick up and they were going to sweat a lot. She says that this song has provided their muscles with a lot of spice.

•The second song played is "Make you happy" by NiziU, chosen by HARU. She explains a little of their backstory: a Japanese girl group formed by Korean label JYP through a survival reality show. HARU watched all of the episodes and got super hooked on them; she was even crying while watching the last episode. As for "spice," while watching it and seeing all their efforts, it made her think that she too needs to work hard every day. RINA says, "Did it make you go, 'What am I doing?!'" HARU says yes and the band laughs and says it must have really resonated with her.

•The third song played is "Unknown" by Friday Night Plans, chosen by TOMO. It's a very recent song and she thinks she heard it on the radio. She thought it was a really spicy song. There are very few piano melody notes, but there are so many fresh notes on top of that--that imbalance to her is very "spicy." She first heard about Friday Night Plans a while back but didn't really get into them until this song and she thinks they're really cool.

•The fourth song played is "Sour Candy" by Lady Gaga and BLACKPINK, chosen by RINA. She was really impacted by this collaboration between two really big music artists, and how they hyped it up on social media before it was released. When she first listened to it, she thought it was so cool and felt like thanking them for the song.

•HARU says that this playlist is also a chaotic one. RINA says it's all over the place, but it makes sense on the whole--it's very SCANDAL-like. TOMO says it has a "This is what we've been listening to recently"-feel to it, which presumably fits theme of "Catch up" well.

•MAMI reads the next message from a listener who worked at a curry restaurant before COVID hit and everyone who worked there was fired. However, she was really happy when she heard that SCANDAL's new song was titled "SPICE." The band laughs and says that it sounds like she can live in any generation with no problem. RINA says, "Things may be difficult right now, but let's all support each other and do our best."

•TOMO reads the next message from a listener who is living by themselves for the first time, which happened after breaking up with her boyfriend who did things like forget to shut the entryway door. She says it's kind of lonely to live alone, but listening to "Catch up" makes her realize that she's not alone. She then apologizes for sending in a message with no spiciness to it, but she does want some spice in her life.

•The last message is read by RINA. The listener is currently listening to the radio program live while grilling some takoyaki with a friend. As for their "spicy" story, they say they recently got hooked on shichimi. The band laughs and tells them to enjoy hanging out with their friend. They're also surprised that that's all the message said, but it was the perfect message to read since they're running out of time for the program.

•The band then closes out the episode. They say that time just flew by, and that it was a lot of fun. They also mention that they'll be doing an after talk after this. They thank the listeners for their "spicy" stories and wish they had time to choose the best stories during this show, but they will be choosing them during the after talk.

•Since there's still a little bit of time left, HARU asks the band how their first live broadcast of this program was. TOMO says this SPA-isu gift is limited to this episode only; they're unfortunately not able to do it for every ep. HARU mentions that "Catch up" merch is starting to be made. They'll announce when those will be available for purchase. There are 20 seconds left and the band isn't sure how to fill the time; they laugh and go, "What do we do?!" HARU then gives the release info for "SPICE" and the "XPICE" short.

Back to top Go down
confusedinupstatenewyork

confusedinupstatenewyork

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
MAMI says, "Well, ghosting someone isn't something people should do.

Speaking of Ghosting, has anyone seen Canta lately?

That's why the anime's themes of "courage and understanding" and "fighting together" are ones that we need to keep in mind from this point forward. She also thinks that it feels like getting to write this song as this point in time was destiny. TOMO says that it certainly fits the current state of things and also mentions BLM. She's really happy that they were able to release the song right now.

Living in The City and Spice were quite serendipitous as far as their eventual release dates went.

TOMO reads the next message from a listener who is living by themselves for the first time, which happened after breaking up with her boyfriend who did things like forget to shut the entryway door.

...yeah, she made a good call.  Leaving the entryway open is a good way to kick off a horror movie.

Back to top Go down
izzy

izzy

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You thanked this post! -

confusedinupstatenewyork wrote:
MAMI says, "Well, ghosting someone isn't something people should do.

Speaking of Ghosting, has anyone seen Canta lately?

Hopefully someone from the band or management will read this post : I challenge the band to record an episode of Catch Up where they will only talk about Canta!!! 
CANTA Peace

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

【Translated Summary】
TOKYO FM's Sunday Special - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - After Talk

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 GWPponn
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 3qrm7wu

•The band laughs about how they had to end the episode rather abruptly and how that was probably the first time they've had to rush through ending a radio program like that.

•MAMI reads a message from a listener whose "spice" story relates to their parents. They had some tough times with their parents growing up and would occasionally have fights. However, after growing up and getting a job, they realized how hard their parents worked to support them. The band is surprised at how mature this message and listener are. TOMO says that there are a lot of things you realize once you're an adult. MAMI says that this listener is a male in his late 20s but didn't list what kind of job he has. She tries saying something about parents but starts to get tongue-tied and goes, "Uh, what am I trying to say?" as the band laughs.

•TOMO reads the next message from a listener whose "spicy" story is that they confessed their feelings to someone for the first time in their life last year. They had a crush on that person for a year, talked to them via [the messaging app] LINE, and would hang out together. One day they decided that they would confess to the person; however, they couldn't say the words "I like you" and ended up creating a puzzling time for about a minute. It was the most they had ever been nervous. RINA says their message is very lyric-like. MAMI says that it seems like time stops during times like these, and that a couple of seconds can feel like a couple of minutes instead. The band agrees with that. RINA says this is a little off the topic, but when you make a mistake when playing a live show, it feels like two seconds are five minutes. The rest all laugh and say they totally get that.

•They then decide on the "Best of Spice" story to determine who will win the SPA-isu. HARU asks if there are any stories that resonated with them. MAMI says yes, the one from the former curry restaurant worker, as they and the entire staff got laid off. The band also says how the listener seemed very positive about the whole thing. RINA says that the listener who told the "being ghosted at the movie theater" story told her story well. TOMO says that HARU's related story was also impactful (MAMI: "Girls who were ghosted at movie theaters..."). HARU says that this definitely does happen in real life, and MAMI says that she's leery of going on movie dates now. HARU says that things like that shouldn't affect your thoughts about the movie, and that, by the way, the movie that that happened to her for was Sherlock Holmes (probably this one). They say that the movie theaters aren't at fault--it's the guys who are at fault. They crown the listener as the winner, and say that they'll send her this nice chair.

Back to top Go down
confusedinupstatenewyork

confusedinupstatenewyork

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
A nice Spa Chair makes getting ghosted totes worth it

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Talking about the SCANDAL members' idiosyncrasies. RINA is heat-resistant!?

Episode #19 blog

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 TeGeWZJ

The band talks about their physical constitutions. First, they start off with this message.

MAMI: This message is from Kon-san in Aichi Prefecture.

"I have a question for the members. Are any of you jealous of the others' bodies or features? I'm jealous of Mamitasu's strong stomach that can withstand the coldness of shave ice and the spiciness of spicy food. I've had serious stomach issues since I was young. I would be grateful if you could share your thoughts on how to strengthen your gastrointestinal tract."

MAMI: Increase the amount of heat. You'll get used to it and you'll be able to train yourself.

TOMOMI: Is that so?

MAMI: Go for something that suits your level, but if it suddenly gets too spicy then you might be traumatized by it--rather, your unpleasant memories of it will get stronger. So, I think you'll be able to eat it if you get used to little by little.

TOMOMI: Why should someone have to go through training like that?

All: (laughs)

HARUNA: But you're not talking about the stomach; you're talking about taste, right?

MAMI: Your stomach will also get used to it, and your mucous membranes will get stronger. If you eat spicy food that's more than you can handle, you'll feel as if your stomach's boiling.

TOMOMI: Heat-wise?

MAMI: It's hot, and how should I put it... it kind of feels like you're boiling hot and burning.

HARUNA: Isn't that bad?

RINA: Does that mean that if you endure it, you're then able to eat something a bit more spicy?

MAMI: You're like, "I can do this."

RINA: You've been able to handle spicy things from the start, haven't you?

MAMI: I didn't go out of my way to eat super spicy things. I started to eat it after coming to Tokyo and grew a lot stronger.

HARUNA: So you did have to build a resistance to it.

RINA: I think she did.

MAMI: I don't know about cold stuff like shave ice, but it seems like one can grow used to spicy food.

TOMOMI: I see...

RINA: Are you saying that people should train themselves?

MAMI: It's not about strengthening your stomach but about [strengthening yourself to be able to eat] spicy food.

HARUNA: So the only way is to get used to it.

RINA: But don't overdo it.

MAMI: Yes. It's important to start off by eating something spicy yet delicious.

HARUNA: ...you don't have to work that hard at it?

RINA: I don't think so.

MAMI: You understand that you want to try eating it.

HARUNA: But you know you want to challenge yourself.

TOMOMI: At a healthy level, though.

MAMI: Is anyone jealous of something about the other members' bodies?

RINA: Not really a body part, per se, but I'm jealous of HARUNA's good memory.

TOMOMI: Right?

MAMI: Totally.

RINA: She can memorize someone's name right off the bat. If she were to meet them again years later, she could immediately recall it, right?

HARUNA: I could.

TOMOMI: She can remember dates and small details, like what day or month something was.

HARUNA: Yeah, I'd probably remember.

RINA: I've always thought that was great.

MAMI: Her memory certainly is good.

RINA: ...I think we three are really lacking in that area, though.

TOMOMI: That's true.

RINA: There are times when we can't remember anything...she really helps us out.

TOMOMI: She does. Also, I'm jealous of how RINA is super resistant to heat--actually, it's really mysterious.

RINA: You've always said that.

TOMOMI: She's unusually strong against heat.

RINA: It happened when three of us used a footbath.

TOMOMI: Yeah, that footbath was basically scalding; you'd put your foot in only a little and it'd turn bright red.

HARUNA: You couldn't put your feet in it.

TOMOMI: RINA was just soaking in it normally. It was hot but she could totally withstand it. But her feet had also turned bright red afterwards.

All: (laughs)

TOMOMI: That's why I'm jealous of that perserverance of hers.

Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
They crown her as the winner, and say that they'll send her this nice chair.
Wait, they held a contest for listeners but ended up giving the chair to Haru?  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 1f602

TOMOMI: She can remember dates and small details, like what day or month something was.
In "her" magazine vol 2, Tomomi said she often can't even remember which day of the week it is, and that she's long since given up on remembering events or anniversaries. Looks like she really has to rely on Haru for these  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 1f602

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
Steadystate wrote:
They crown her as the winner, and say that they'll send her this nice chair.
Wait, they held a contest for listeners but ended up giving the chair to Haru?  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 1f602

lol no, they gave the chair to the listener who told them the story of being ghosted at a movie theater.

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

【Translated Summary】
『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Episode 19

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 Lp8B8I9
Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 Q2ScVur

•The band starts out the episode by eating Meiji snacks. After "A.M.D.K.J" plays, they start their "Life Before SCANDAL" segment. HARU reads the first message from a listener who says they didn't have a favorite band before SCANDAL, who was their first favorite band. Their family isn't really interested in listening to music, but thanks to SCANDAL the listener can feel the strength and splendor of music. Also thanks to SCANDAL, they gained an interest in music and are currently in a light music club where they cover SCANDAL's songs and hope to feel closer to the band. They'll keep listening to music and will prepare for their life after SCANDAL. However, they say, SCANDAL will always be their #1 band even after they grow up. The band says that they're happy to be their first favorite band. MAMI laughs and goes, "Life...after SCANDAL? I feel kind of conflicted about that."

•MAMI reads the next message from a listener who asks them this question (and since this was kind of in part with the "Life Before SCANDAL" segment, the listener says that their favorite artist before SCANDAL was aiko). After talking about the foot bath story, they say that RINA's heat resistance also applies to food. RINA mentions when they did a barbeque with the comedian Takeda BBQ for a SCANDAL MANIA video and they were grilling sausages on top of veggies, RINA just picked it up with her bare hands when it was done. TOMO says that no one else could touch it.

•After "Tsuki" plays, RINA reads the next message from a listener who says she'll tell them their nickname in elementary school. The band goes, "Wait, this is a different segment we're doing now?" since they were previously doing the "Life Before SCANDAL" segment. HARU, who seemingly forgot they have a nickname segment, goes, "Anything goes?" TOMO reminds her that they do have a nickname segment. RINA continues reading the message. The listener was an avid swimmer who had tanned skin due to that, so their friend called them "Ganguro Tamago-chan," which is a character in an anime series. They didn't really mind being called that, though, since they thought the character's cute and eggs (tamago) are delicious and go with any dish. The band laughs and goes, "Eggs certainly are delicious." At the end of their message, they say, "By the way, I'm also a teacher." The band is surprised and goes, "There really are a lot of teachers among our fans."

•TOMO reads the next message from a listener who was nicknamed "Avocado" by a fellow teammate on their volleyball club in middle school. It wasn't that they liked avocados; the player just started calling her "Avocado." After that, they started to be called "Avo" by other teammates. Soon, everyone, including the teachers, in all of their classes started to call her that too and she started to be made fun of. When she graduated middle school, people wrote "To Avocado" in her yearbook. She really didn't like being called that back then but didn't have the courage to speak up about it. However, when the former club members meet up now, they call her by her actual name. She's unsure if they've matured or if they forgot about the nickname. She also mentions that she's the same age as RINA. The band wonders why she was called "Avocado," and HARU says that avocados weren't really a thing in Japan back then (early 2000s) as the band doesn't have any memories of eating avocados at that time at home. MAMI thinks that maybe the teammate saw avocados on TV and just picked up the name. RINA says that when she was in elementary school there was a girl who'd tie her pigtails with hair ties with realistic-looking chocolates on them every day, and before long she started to be called "Choco." She wonders if there were any avocado-themed hair accessories back then. The band laughs and says that's not likely. They, like the listener, don't like how she was given that nickname for no reason and was basically bullied because of that name. RINA says that people should be more cautious when giving someone a nickname. The band says that "Avo-chan" is kind of cute-sounding nickname, though.

•HARU reads the next message from a male listener in his 50s whose listed name is "Otousan (dad)" who likes how the band plays their instruments and lists what he likes about them, such as how MAMI and HARU play the guitar differently, or how RINA holds her drumstick upright during a specific line in "LOVE SURVIVE" [Note: The message is kind of long and weird/creepy...I will not be translating it further lol]. TOMO goes, "That's creepy," and the band bursts out laughing. She also says, "That's creepy, but that makes us glad too [that they pay so much attention]." RINA mentions that he gave really specific examples. HARU goes, "'Otousan'...I see..." TOMO says it's kind of fetish-like and that maybe they should start a segment for that. HARU goes, "I'm sure we'd get a lot of messages for that."

Back to top Go down
hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
What's the deal with all the teachers? I've read how some like the positive message conveyed in the lyrics, but there has to be more to it, doesn't there? Does Scandal tend to write with more sophistication than other bands? I was reading somewhere (probably here) that Tomomi avoids fancy words she wouldn't use in normal conversation, which kinda implies Rina does. "Gestalt" comes to mind. I don't use that one often.
Any ideas?

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down
Steadystate

Steadystate

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
You thanked this post! -

hogradish wrote:I was reading somewhere (probably here) that Tomomi avoids fancy words she wouldn't use in normal conversation, which kinda implies Rina does. "Gestalt" comes to mind. I don't use that one often.
Any ideas?
In this interview, Rina (whom I guess has since succeeded Tomomi as the primary lyricist) says that she's aware many of Scandal's international fans use their songs to learn Japanese, so she's careful to always write their lyrics in "proper" Japanese. Maybe that's something teachers like? Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 1f602 My high school English teachers hated rap music for the opposite reason lol.

Back to top Go down
Meph1766

Meph1766

International Performer
International Performer
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:
After talking about the foot bath story, they say that RINA's heat resistance also applies to food. RINA mentions when they did a barbeque with the comedian Takeda BBQ for a SCANDAL MANIA video and they were grilling sausages on top of veggies, RINA just picked it up with her bare hands when it was done. TOMO says that no one else could touch it.
Rina would be a Human torch if the members were presented as the Fantastic Four.  .rage.

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

What kind of passion did they put into their new song "SPICE"?!

Episode #20 blog

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 5 UxgpEpP

The band revisits their new song "SPICE" that was aired for the first time during their live broadcast [of this show].

RINA: We started working with the team who was handling the animation project for "XPICE" after receiving an offer from them. Production started off in a way we never experienced before.

HARUNA: We got to participate starting from the meeting about the anime.

RINA: We were invited to the planning sessions, we got to see the characters in their rough stages of the anime that hadn't been completed yet, and we listened to the thoughts they included in the story. The passion that the staff had made us get fired up to make something better--or should I say, we're grateful that their hearts were so pure.

HARUNA: We started making it around the end of last year, but I'm glad it we're able to send it out at this point in time. It's a song that has a very straightforward and powerful message. We hope you listen to it together with the animation.

HARUNA: During the live broadcast we asked for your "spicy" stories... We didn't have enough time to read a lot of these messages, so we'll be introducing "Nice spice" messages during this episode. We don't have a SPA-isu to give away this time, though...

RINA: Let's read them.

Nickname: Yamadato
"This is the person whose message about shichimi you read earlier. My friend whom I was grilling takoyaki with also sent a message, and since my message was read, both of us were really excited. What is your favorite spice (as in seasoning)?"

HARUNA: They're really persistent about spices.

MAMI: But the characters in "XPICE" were named after spices too. The main character is Wasabi-chan. So it's okay since it's kind of the same theme. Favorite spices, huh? What do you guys like?

RINA: Hmm...

MAMI: Perhaps black pepper for me. Isn't its taste determined by how you prepare it? I went through about two bottles during quarantine.

All: ...eh? That's crazy!

MAMI: I put it on everything.

RINA: You used two bottles in three months?

MAMI: Maybe in two months. One bottle per month.

RINA: Is that much safe to consume?

MAMI: Isn't it?

TOMOMI: Isn't that excessive consumption? It's the same for everything else.

MAMI: Really?? Don't you use it every day? And the amount lessens?

TOMOMI: You use quite a bit every day? Are you overusing it to the point where your food's completely black?

MAMI: That doesn't happenー

RINA: But using up one whole bottle in a month is crazy.

MAMI: It just disappears.

RINA: ...I've never heard of that happening.

TOMOMI: I like garlic salt.

RINA: I totally get that. I like crazy salt.

HARUNA: I always have a stock of dashi soy sauce from Kagawa. I think they have them in supermarkets in Tokyo now. You can pour it over tofu or even directly on rice.

All: Ahー!

hogradish wrote:What's the deal with all the teachers?

They kind of speculated as to why in this episode:

https://www.scandal-heaven.com/t14957-radio-program-scandal-catch-up-supported-by-meiji-apollo#767122

hogradish wrote:Does Scandal tend to write with more sophistication than other bands?

FWIW, I've tried translating a few songs from other artists and SCANDAL's lyrics are by far the easiest to translate. They tend to write things and use words/phrases that are clear and easy to understand.

For example, a friend asked me to translate some lyrics from a Japanese group called Charisma.com and they made no sense at all. To give an example, here's one of their songs that someone else translated to English lol

Back to top Go down
hogradish

hogradish

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
Charisma.com! They used to make me laugh, especially DJ Gonchi. I guess their lyrics are kinda beat poetry/rap. I don't think that stuff translates well.
On a side note, my parents were both teachers. (eerie music plays)
Do the members smell like chalk boards? (joke)
I can see how the positive message would resonate with educators.....

Friendship. Effort. Victory.
Back to top Go down
confusedinupstatenewyork

confusedinupstatenewyork

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
thoseguiltyeyes wrote:RINA: But using up one whole bottle in a month is crazy.

The only logical explanation is that MAMI is actually Kirby

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 26]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum