hogradish

hogradish

Caless Student
Caless Student
I don't think it's easy to translate Japanese to English or English into Japanese, even if you're fluent. Take for example the phrase from "One Piece" : "I want to see you ten years from now amongst this scenery". The word scenery doesn't sound right, does it. But  what are the alternatives? This situation, these conditions, these surroundings? View? Ambience? Personally, I like vista. Scenery is as close as you can get, I guess, but I think something is lost in the translation. Another one is in 'Image" about stepping out in well worn shoes. Well worn makes me think of like really beat up. It says here another interpretation of the original word is "familiar". But that doesn't help much. "Nicely broken in" might be closer, but it sounds pretty clunky. Honestly, I think Thoseguiltyeyes does a great job translating, but there's some stuff that just doesn't go straight across into the other language. The phrase "Rock these Instapump  Fury shoes" is pretty interesting. The original word supposedly means to go all the way, or to make an extra effort, but even that doesn't convey the fact that "wazza wazza" sounds like hurried footsteps. Interpreting that to mean "rock" is really clever and perspicuous.
I'm painfully aware of Scandals efforts not to just laugh out loud at the clunkiness of my message. I remember back in the 60s and 70s, the USSR used to refer to the US as "hooligans". I used to giggle at how goofy that sounded. It was hard to take them seriously. So I understand the situation. Still, it's frustrating.

Last edited by hogradish on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : additional thoughts and obfuscation)

Friendship. Effort. Victory.

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 10647614
Back to top Go down
confusedinupstatenewyork

confusedinupstatenewyork

Caless Student
Caless Student
Their music really sounds like the stuff I grew up with.

Given that their first few years as a band were spent playing with most of their songs written and composed by other people who were generally older than they were, that's not too surprising.

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 Sig10
Back to top Go down
mbowie4321

mbowie4321

Shiroten Performer
Shiroten Performer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFFGF9eCrouGyWhIrVhR8Mw?view_as
You thanked this post! -
Thanks received by this post:

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

hogradish wrote:Well anyway, I like them. And it's not just random. Shonen Knife was on a Subpop album back in the mid-80s here in Seattle, and they got a bit of airplay. My friend Laura was really into them, so I've at least kept in touch on occasion with bands from Japan for a while now. I'm at least familiar with lots and lots of them, nowadays thanks to YouTube. Certainly not all, and I'm not an expert by any means. But it turns out I really like Scandal.
If I've left anything out, let me know.
Off topic, but if curious, I interviewed Naoko from Shonen Knife last year. https://jrocknews.com/2019/05/interview-shonen-knife-talk-lp-sweet-candy-power.html

Back to top Go down
thoseguiltyeyes

thoseguiltyeyes

Administrator
Administrator
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

Happening just this time? 「STAY HOME HOME-TE」

Episode #12 blog

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 CJxALBv

HARUNA: You probably won't understand the word "home-te" (ホメテ; home technology--more specifically referring to technology around you that makes your life easier) just by hearing it. If you were to write it out...

MAMI: "Home" is read in the same way as in "stay home," and then add "te."

HARUNA: We've been staying at home for two months now, and I'm sure there are people wondering if we each learned how to do something or discovered a new side of ourselves during this time. During this segment we'll reveal how we've grown.

TOMOMI: What does that even mean...

MAMI: How we've grown...I don't know if I have.

RINA: This is kind of embarrassing...

HARUNA: One thing is that we made a new song!

MAMI: Praise us for that!

TOMOMI: As a band, right?

MAMI: I really want us to be praised.

HARUNA: We attempted something totally new, for one. Please just advocate for yourself.

MAMI: All right; how have I grown...

HARUNA: It could be something small.

RINA: HARUNA, you should start things off.

HARUNA: All right. I'm sure this is the same for people around the world...but I feel like I've gotten better at cooking. I live alone, and in the past there had been a lot of times after getting off work when I couldn't be bothered to cook and ordered delivery instead. But during quarantine I've been cooking for myself every day. That's been a big change for me.

TOMOMI: Good job!

RINA: We're proud of you!

TOMOMI: You did so well, HARU-chan!

RINA: So healthy!

HARUNA: You feel really good when you cook for yourself, don't you?

All: Right?

MAMI: You get to eat a well-balanced meal.

HARUNA: I feel like I can sleep well at night. It's nice waking up in the morning and feeling hungry. I think I'll be able to keep this up even after quarantine.

MAMI: Cooking's now more fun to do.

HARUNA: You're next, TOMO-chan!

TOMOMI: For me...well, I can now play the main theme of "Animal Crossing" (the game) on the ukulele.

All: (Laughs loudly)

TOMOMI: I thought I could copy it by ear on the ukulele... The nylon strings are really hard and are completely different from bass strings. The thinner the string, the more it hurts and digs into your fingertips. I realized once again how great guitartists are and made me want to complement them.

MAMI: What? Are we supposed to praise you, TOMO-chan?

TOMOMI: Ah, is that what it is...

HARUNA: You're not just playing a game.

MAMI: You're studying music.

TOMOMI: I didn't think playing the ukulele would be this hard.

MAMI: You're doing so well, TOMO-chan.

HARUNA: You're doing great!

RINA: That's a musician for you!

TOMOMI: It's such a good track! Maybe I'll play it somewhere if I get a little better at it...

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 39iLxaW

2011.7.3 AM2 2012.3.28 SCANDAL vs BUDOKAN 11.3+4 QAT Tour @名古屋 11.10 Happy MUSIC Live 2012 2013.3.3 SCANDAL OSAKA-JO HALL 2013 2014.6.1 HNL Ekiden & Music 2014 6.2 Fan Meeting 2015.4.25 HELLO WORLD @ Paris 4.26 London 4.30 Essen 5.15 Chicago 5.20 MEX 5.22 LA 5.23 Anaheim 2016.1.12+13 PERFECT WORLD 5.21 Welcome Fan Meeting 5.22 HNL Ekiden & Music 2016 5.23 Farewell Fan Meeting 8.21 SCAFes 2017.7.14 47 Prefecture Tour @茨城 7.15 水戸 7.17 東京 2018.9.5 Special Thanks @NY 9.7 SF 9.9 Anaheim 9.12 MTY 9.14 MEX 9.16 TX 2020.9.4 KFTD @Paris 9.6 London 9.9 Berlin 9.17 Anaheim 9.19 Dallas 9.21 Atlanta 9.23 Toronto
Back to top Go down
Meph1766

Meph1766

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://www.setlist.fm/concerts/Meph
Does anyone know who of them is the best cook? Tomomi?

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 Noh0VdI
Back to top Go down
confusedinupstatenewyork

confusedinupstatenewyork

Caless Student
Caless Student
TOMOMI: I didn't think playing the ukulele would be this hard.

Timo will be fine.  Bass guitars are just ukuleles that got swole.

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 Sig10
Back to top Go down
izzy

izzy

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
You thanked this post! -

Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Meph1766 wrote:Does anyone know who of them is the best cook? Tomomi?
Tomomi seems to be a great cooker, her instagram stories make me hungry every time I see them  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 1f35b  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 1f35d

Back to top Go down
Meph1766

Meph1766

Indie Artist
Indie Artist
https://www.setlist.fm/concerts/Meph
izzy wrote:Tomomi seems to be a great cooker, her instagram stories make me hungry every time I see them  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 1f35b  Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 1f35d
That’s why I thought about Tomomi too. Also she talked in "her" magazine vol.2 about book of recipes Takeda Barbecue that she likes.

Radio Program - 『SCANDAL Catch up supported by Meiji Apollo』 - Page 3 Noh0VdI
Back to top Go down